back to ChicagoWorkshop
Bringing Everyone Along
Participants: Amy (convener), Leslie, Ann, and several others...
- importance of empathy
- what's in it for me? (wiifm)
- waht does it mean when people don't come along?
- value of leaving the door open and continuing to invite ALL, authentically
- create a culture of inclusion
- sort for common themes/elements
- gallery of end results (successes)
- listen deeply to divergent points of view
- be intolerant of intolerance, don't villify other people
- don't build a gap to bridge
- outreach is never over
- use all means and create new ones to maintain inclusion
- ask how people prefer to / can be reached
- use inquiry to energize people stuck in the status quo
- what's your story? experience?
- ask/say 'i need your help!'
- spend time honoring divergent points of view
- beware the "they" and "other" labels
- foster a culture of self-reflection by outing yourself first!
- use observation, checking each other, and detailing the subtleties
- challenge unconscious collusion