What is Open Space
- Practice and Retreat
- Site and Space
- Agenda and Day 3 OS opportunity... "vols invited to create an open space that meets the needs of everyone in the group, grounding the experience, in the last half-day of the retreat."
- noticing physical ground, getting comfortable (outside) sitting, staying comfortable, noticing and relaxing inner ground...
- ground of experience, exploring, settling into group, treasure hunt, wealth of experience, many teachers here, brief introductions name, issues or questions you're bringing...
- What is Open Space? ...the beginning of the practice, answering the question
- opening space in body... swinging, flopping, yawning, patting down... aware of inside and outside... edge...
- The Four Practices - axes, quadrants (names and icons), practices, seasonality/cycle/flow/evolution... and four parts of preparation (invite, list, space, footprints)
- The Donut Shop that changed the world - spiral story
- Make a heart with your hand... what matters? ...shape, pulse, center, energy, tissue, embrace, core, purpose...
- Morning Practice - refinement of pulsation... yawning, jiggling, rocking, breathing into base, setting down the world, saying ah...
- Outside with question - what has heart and meaning for you? reflect, explore, bring back something(s) that represent the things that you love, your purpose (30 mins)
- In pairs/triples - debrief, share stories and artifacts and purposes, take turns, pay attention to your telling or listening to stories about things that matter
- Whole group - what did you notice, in the exploring? in the conversing? not reporting on purpose, but on the experience of seeking it and presenting it... this is client experience, and client artifacts
- Five Stories - what/where is the practice/experience of opening heart?
- leggo my hand
- morning practice - patting to firm edges, saying ah, humming through self, resting in ah --OR-- mutuality inviting and receiving attention of others
- cafe - what are the qualities of skillful invitation? 3x20 mins + 30 mins harvest
- five stories
- morning news... as inviting connection, what needs to be shared in large group... new questions, new issues, dreams, etc
- mortgage/paycheck (hand/wrist exercise) ...bondage/the way things are as initial condition/assumption, how to get out? ...condition is co-created, inviting connection, inviting freedom, vs. breaking connection, doing damage... the challenges of freedom, movement and destructuring
- inviting connection as nothing more than being visible, seeing and being seen, as open heart...
- morning practice... sit, find ground, find breath, breathe into base, notice body, in body, as body, sensations that you are, rest in that, ah... find a partner, close eyes, find spine, space around as body, space around body, rest again in the sensation that you are... open eyes, conversation without talking, pulse between self and other, eyes open and closed, let other be as real to you as you are to yourself, and vice versa, play with that, rest in what happens, take a nap, offer support to back of heart, rest, stretch when it's easy and feels good, notice the way fascia are all connected when stretch... what did you notice?
- bubble pictures of open space process, firm circles are invitations made explicit, connections to purpose made visible
- five experiences of inviting connection... questions...
- facilitator - marketing (inviting leaders to call/converse/consider), inviting preparation (opening heart, invitation writing, supporting attendance, making the space ready), inviting attention in the opening ringing, inviting connection with what has heart and meaning, inviting connection with each other, with center of circle, with future participants via proceedings document, inviting connection at evening news (reconvening), inviting followup reflection, change and learning
- event - please join us (invitation to gather), prep material posted, bells ringing, marketplace/law of two feet, computer room, news wall, food table, internet connections, proceedings document, weblog or email list, participant list, press release, affordable/accessible venue/timing,
- participants - bring friends, post topics and convene sessions, type notes, post to weblog or other bboard, personal reflection, bumblebee and butterfly, ride share, home stays, dinners out, trade business cards
- context - broad invitation/purpose, diverse groups invited, larger than usual space/group, longer term focus, ongoing support for news and invitations
- leaders - bring bigger questions rather than detailed answers, invite outsiders, acknowledge uncertainty, make the invitation personal, attend the whole event, state givens clearly (make room for what can be by clearly stating what can't be), explain purpose (need, importance)
- grabbing v. offering ...offer/support vs. mandate/control ...structures that support
- systems game... two people, equidistant... do piece of work, moving chair... get everyone to a destination... key on one fixed point... what supports collaboration?
- five experiences... what questions do you have about supporting collaboration (space and structure) as facilitator (less is more, present/invisible, asking questions about what's true for others, anticipating/contracting with leaders about potential surprises/upsets), leader (givens, truth, resources, time, etc), event (mktplace, bboard, food, materials, meeting space), context (mktplaces existing, sparse connections/personal bandwidth for new work, existing knowledge/structures, meeting spaces, online spaces), participants (discretionary resources, using two feet) ...notice space/structure support moving together... grief/groan zone arises in course of destructuring, energy released...
Making Good - Grounding the Energy
- hand trick
- morning practice - choo choo stomping, rest down, come into alignment, be aware of self and whole group/room
- cleaning, making good exercise - aware of self and space simultaneously
- five stories -