workshop/book outline inspired by chris/brian at the snug...
what is ost?
- definitions from participants - or from talking points list, p+r, coffee break, etc
- quadrants map and donut shop
- network exercise
- what is the open space world view ...and how to read this book: as if you were going to open space somewhere in a few days
opening heart - wide and deep
- hands: heart w/ hand... valentine (appearance), pulsing fist (function), tissue (already, essense)... our purpose is to look at the shape, the function (practice) and the already essence of opening space
- stories/questions: what's alive in you now? experiences with opening? experiences with pulsation and change? why do you want to do this work? what's your passion and care? what has broken your heart open? appreciating, embracing
- roles/levels of opening
- self - personal practices for opening heart?
- leader - opening the heart of issues, questions in inviting guide... what do you want to happen? what if it does? what difference would it make? what if it doesn't? would anybody care?
- event - invitation as the open heart of the event - anatomy of invitation
- participants - bringing issues, passion... their own purposes. how do we connect participants?
- context - what does it mean to open the heart of an organizatin? maybe this is opening the heart of issues and leader is more about who leader is and how got there, what he/she feels their purpose or passion is? telling the truth and the four conditions here perhaps?
- bottom-line: how do we know when we're really open, wide and deep? connect back to purposes... appearance (finished invitation), pulsation (raises questions?), alreadyessence (in their own words, what everybody knows)? ...we're done opening when the word has to get out. creation story? something wants out? or in? or up?
inviting understanding - knowing and not knowing
- hands: mortgage/paycheck ...just ask.
- stories/questions: experiences with discerning, focusing, visioning, calling, articulating, understanding... way-finding, how do we know we're in or out? inclusion... what makes invitation real? and acceptable?
- self - where are you already hosting or hosted? in or out? listening or articulating? where do you get your information about how the world is?
- leader - discerning, info systems, how setting direction, guiding work?
- event - quantity and quality of attention, invitation list, givens framed and embodied,
- ppts - learning in open space? processing of information v. just generating it
- context - vision is what goes up on the wall?
- bottom-line: what are the qualities of successful invitation? people show up ready for work. get in the gut?
supporting commitment - letting go and letting come... giving and receiving
- hands: holding a piece of chocolate, letting go, offering, find way to let go without losing ...if we do it with chocolates, then grabbing and holding only makes them melt...
- stories/questions: experiences with really being there for someone, being in deep service, w/ their uncertainty, pain, fear, despair, etc... when has your being present (and little else) seemed to really matter? devotion, decisions...
- self- how do you support yourself and others? mutuality?
- lead - creating structures that support, not contracting, coaching about options, personal impact
- event - four mechanisms... four preparations pieces... pre- and post- ost leadership/sponsor meetings, space and time to meet, food...
- ppts - answering questions without answering... can i? shouldn't somebody? how are we doing?
- context - groan zone, chuck yeager?
- bottom-line: what is supporting vs. controlling structure?
making good - tangible and intangible results... and ripples ...sacrifice? grounding...
- stories/questions: convergence... grounding... experimenting... play in with the pieces... getting it wrong and wrong and wrong... edison's lightbulb...
- self- how do you keep yourself grounded? organized? documented? feedback? celebrate? offering?
- lead - how are results reported and new invitations offered? how is market space kept open?
- event - how to ground an event? do proceedings... cycle of invitation, results... who's here, when are we going to meet next...
- ppts - evaluations by participants...evaluate their work, not facilitator... what is participant responsibility going forward? what have they promised? you get what you ask for... keeping the space open, univ of kentucky? ...
- context - conditions that show up... high learning, high play, app structure, genuine sense of community, spirit... grief cycle? ...stories of ripples, hearing later.
- bottom-line: how do we know we accomplished anything? how do we make it real? ground the energy in measurable ways? document the action? or more importantly... how do we sustain the action? how do we get this out of the room?
open space for what's left to address...
- ...proceedigns, convergence, action... form for what, who needs to be there, when, what needs doing between now and then... cappucino maker.
- ...resting down, alignment, mutuality... pow.
- ...why not taken up in corporations? structure there to protect... control... maintain... not move. corporate vs. commercial (body vs. movement) os as fundamentally a commitment to movement.
- ...using the map to see your organization... where is purpose, understanding, support, action?
maybe finishing is looking at other methods and developments...
- ...os campaigning... brad blanton
- ...social computing... next generation is going to use these tools, no matter what -- are they going to use them for good, and in your org?
- ...other facilitation methods... cafe, ai, process work,
- self-lead-ppts-event-context ...to make os event the 'mkt space' for network that is the ppts? then context is follow-through?