Identifying places to Open Space in communities
Convenor: Chris Corrigan
Participants: Stacy and Carrie and butterflies
- Chris began by talking about an Open Space he is about to do next week on Bowen Island around sustainability and the long term future of the community. The discussion was around how it was set up and how the invitation went out.
- Next we thought about where and when we might Open Space
- Stacey talked about an opportunity to use OST on her reserve where her dad is the chief. The community has been learning about economic development strategies and studying cases from the USA on successful First Nations economic development. Stacey thought that OST would be a good way to start the conversation in the community about how to make it work at home.
- We talked about people's responsibility for creating their own futures and the need for the leadership to let go and support people with passion who come forward to make change.
- Carrie talked about using OST at her community which is riddled with violence and very old family feuds. She is not happy with the fact that youth and children are raised to sustain the hatreds. Most youth don;t know why the families don't get along with each other, and when the youth move to Winnipeg the hang out together, regardless of family. She wants to bring together a few youth from each warring family to plan an Open Space meeting around the theme of "What can we do to make our community more successful over the next 20 years?"
- She also thought that an Open Space on health care would be a good topic as it would encourage people to think about what they can personally do to improve the health of others in the community. We have to get away from expecting ngovernment nto fix the problems.
- Chris offered to link Stacey and Carrie up to people in the Middle East who were nworking nwith communities driven apart by violence.
- Stacey's email: email@example.com
- Carrie's email: firstname.lastname@example.org