Open Space Technology (OST)
It's been called meeting methodology, organization transformation, intentional self-organization and surfing the chaos. Since Harrison Owen described it, more than 20 years ago, it has enabled all kinds of people, in every kind of organization and community, to create inspired meetings and events - and to post phenomenal business results.
It has also become clear that opening space, the intentional practice of InvitingLeadership, can create inspired organizations, where ordinary people work together to create extraordinary results with regularity. This seems to happen even, and especially, in large, complex, diverse and potentially conflicted organizations when real results on critical issues must be delivered NOW -- if not sooner.
The list below is virtually everything I have (in writing) about how you can practice OpenSpaceTechnology in your organization. The top of the list starts with more polished pieces about open space. The bottom half of this page is my own open PracticeNotebook, with lots of how to details (including /InvitationWriting). If you find any of these things useful, please contact me. I'll be glad to hear from you. Thank you. And CopyRight.
-- MichaelHerman, practitioner, teacher, coach, and webmaster
Most Frequently Shared
What is Open Space Technology?
OST and Events (facilitated by Michael Herman) in the News
Training, Coaching and Partnership?
- /FacilitatorTraining - retreats, workshops, coaching and partnering for leaders
- /PracticeRetreat - a three-day intensive training program, last offered in 2006 (in favor of one-on-one coaching)
- PracticeNotebook - a small mountain of collected guidance, linked from the bottom half of this page
Where to Read More About Open Space?
- [Publications] - guides, articles, stories by Michael Herman, and proceedings from some real events
- /PracticeNotebook - lots of nitty-gritty details, variations, adaptations, innovations, alternative views
- [OpenSpaceWorld.ORG] - global practice site established by MichaelHerman
- [OpenSpaceInstituteUSA Bookstore] - OST books, videos, and other resources sold online
- ReadingList - wide-ranging recommendations, beyond the essential /UsersGuide by Harrison Owen
Where to Meet OST Friends and Practitioners?
- /OSLIST - worldwide email community and 24/7 helpline, new people welcome!
- /WorldMap - global facilitator and OS associations locator tools
- [OpenSpaceOnOpenSpace] - international practitioner conferences and meetings
- Contact me for coffee when you're in Chicago! --MichaelHerman
Ongoing OST Practice Notebook
Lots of nitty-gritty, hot-to details, variations, adaptations, innovations, and alternative views captured here as they've come up over the last many years. Some of these bits will help you write an invitation or manage logistics, others will help you better understand how to stand and breathe and think and support in the middle of Open Space.
How To Notes
- /UsersGuide - the original OST "how to" book by Harrison Owen
Tales from Open Space
- InvitingLeadership/FourPracticesStory - a later, more evolved view of /OpenSpacePractices
- /OpenSpacePractices - some early writing about InvitingLeadership, opening space in everyday practice
- /LivingInOpenSpace - my contribution to a forthcoming practice anthology by the same name
- OrganizationAsNarrative - storytelling and complexity notes from the OpenSpaceTechnology/OSLIST
- SomaticOrganization - connecting power, passion and vision in org, org as bigger body
- TheTippingPoint - notes from book by Malcolm Gladwell, re: invitations
- PatternLanguage - wholeness, life, coherence in architecture, software and organization
- ManufacturingCare - john mcknight and the trap of service-producing systems
- SoftwareDevelopmentInOpenSpace - accelerated marketing/software development in OS
- HoldingSpaceForTransformation - a bit about what we're doing and not doing
- OpenSpaceArchitecture - notes on the Steelcase headquarters building in Michigan
- OpenSpaceByManyOtherNames - the four principles in many other forms
- GooglingOpenSpace - just for fun
- OpenSpaceAsGiving - open space is free, but we do want your stories
- OpenSpacePeaceQuotes - discovering open space in famous peace qutoes
- GrandmasLullaby - an intimate, ultimate opening
- OpenSpaceAsWindshield - the vision emerges as snapshot of chaos meeting order
- BlowingBubbles - practicing the essence of opening space