Checklist for On-Site Preparations
These lists have been developed through the preparation and facilitation of numerous open space events. These are the things that I'm giving primary attention to in the days and hours leading up to the opening of a meeting or event.
Purpose and People
- need or opportunity clearly identified -- what are we to DO? -- their language, questions, issus, purposes, boundaries, etc... not mine
- broad, creative theme, question or statement that captures intent for gathering
- clear understanding of who is here, where they have come from, how they got here.
- large room - no tables or other obstructions, clean wall
- breakout spaces - 7 per 100, never less than four corners
- chairs in circle
- microphones (2), confirm dead areas of room
- food plan - buffet
- computer plan - room/tables, incl. printer, 5 per 100 people
- flipcharts and easels, one per room
- copier plans
- posters - theme, grid/wall labels, four principles, be prepared, one law, bees/flies,
- breakout spaces labeled
- blank paper for issues posting
- markers, tape, post-its, nametags(?)
- bells/talking stick
- computers or poster boards for making summaries
- circle of chairs, NO tables, podium, etc
- posters around room in order, starting with theme
- blank wall or grid, labelled with space/times
- markers, tape, pencils, nametags, bells
- breakout spaces labelled
- leaders expectations, support
- intranet? other distribution channels?
- conveners reconvened?
- training workshop?
- see notes on non-convergence (in this manual)
Information Processing (if using computers for proceedings)
- proceedings cover page
- participants address/phone listing
- ballot sheet to include in proceedings book
- instructions for typing up notes, posted on flipchart
- sign-up sheet for assigning issue numbers
- computer room hours and deadlines poster
- proceedings reports file folder
- proceedings report template on disk (download ms-word form doc)
- copies of report template to pass out to conveners during opening
- voting software and numerous easels for action planning session