Online Collaboration and Community
MichaelHerman? helps clients, colleagues, and community groups communicate and collaborate online -- before, during and after important meetings and events.
Michael launched GlobalChicago.NET in August 1998, as a practice and an experiment in using web-based technologies to connect community leaders and workgroups. It started as a calendar for local (Chicago-area) manifestations of global movements and learning. In 1999, it turned into a bulletin board forum that got big and hard to maintain. Along the way, we incubated some small and not-so-small websites for client and community organizations. By 2005, we'd migrated all but a few personal projects to other locations.
The spirit of GlobalChicago lives on, in the form of technical guidance and support for client organizations and community groups, especially in conjunction with meetings and conferences. We can recommend a number of good options for ongoing, online collaboration and will teach you how to use and manage them for yourself.
Older Websites/Movements (now dormant, closed or significantly redesigned)
- RecentChangesCamp - software and community development conference (since 2006)
- ManorNeighbors - community website, served my own home neighborhood, pre-facebook
- InvitingBuffalo - Buffalo, New York, Dept of Economic Development, inviting community initiative/weblog
- [The Giving Conference 2004] - conference proceedings site, forerunner to [RecentChangesCamp]
- [Illinois Food Security Summit] - notes from three summits, the first of which ran in Open Space
- [ChicagoConservationCorps] - citywide community leadership initiative
- [Imagine Chicago] - 10th anniversary, global imagination conference
- [Nepal AI National Network] - weblog for peaceful development movement
- [American Montessori Society] - national conference of montessori educators captured in a wiki site
- [Ubumama] - global maternal health campaign
- Latino Prevention Network - social service organizations working together
- Omidyar.net Members Conferences
- Bairoling Monastery, Kathmandu
- Open Space Practice Community, Haiti
- Amigos and Adelante Chicago
- Chicago End-of-Life Care Coalition
- Crossroads Center at Old St. Patrick's Church